May 13, 2008

ABOUT THAT "CELEBRATION"...



The team returned to practice focusing on their next task - earning three points this weekend against Claudio Lopez and the Kansas City Wizards.

But though the LA match is behind everyone, one topic was still fresh in everyone's mind - what in the world was Danleigh Borman thinking with that goal celebration (see the video below)?

Just to recap "the worst goal celebration I've ever seen" as stated by MSG analyst Shep Messing, after scoring his first career MLS goal, Danleigh runs to the corner flag, does a wobbly cartwheel before rolling over his back and his head - Kindergarten style.

Ever since, Danleigh hasn't heard the end of his teammates' joshing. So we figured we'd get Borman's take on the whole thing.

"I was ecstatic man," Borman said. "It was unbelievable to score my first goal in professional soccer. I was just amazed."

But what about his subsequent goal celebration (cue Jozy Altidore, who walks by saying jokingly - or maybe not - that "It was the worst celebration ever.")

"I say if I score next week, I’m going to do the same thing. You’ll be seeing it again if I do score!" says a defiant Danleigh.

But then, what were you trying to do? And what would be your ideal celebration?

"I would like to do, in tribute to my father, a back flip like he did (when he played professionally in South Africa). But in this case, I tweaked it a little bit so I’m sticking to it. I like it."

So there you go - if he scores again, that's what you'll get. Just like JPA's Zorro-like jump in the air and slash, Peter Crouch's Robot , and Nicolas Anelka's butterfly, Danleigh will have his own trademark celebration. We'll call it "The Danleigh" for now.

What do you guys and gals think? Should he keep this celebration? Do you dislike it? What should Danleigh do instead? Perhaps we'll pass along suggestions to the rookie for the next time he scores.

5 comments:

Ogre Dave said...

Good for him. Keep it mate and be proud, because no one will copy it. I am not being funny, it was good, the only thing thqat you could do is take out the blanco like thing at the end, just lay there and take it all in mate!

Anonymous said...

He looked like he had never even attempted doing that before. What would make one think they could do that without practicing it? Please, give up the clumsy cartwheel into the backward summersault. It just don't work for ya.

Anonymous said...

I've said elsewhere that it was 10 kinds of spectacular.

Really, it was pure genius: the cartwheel to botched backflip, to nervous Blanco salute. Genius!

If he did that every time, he would instantly be my favorite footballer.

Unknown said...

If only he could fit "the worm" in there somewhere...

PezJunkie said...

Isn't that basically the Robbie Keane "cartwheel & somersault" with an extra half twist thrown in?

I think it's a keeper.